Skip to content
- Ice on the Ohio River – Ice impacting the upper ends of the Ohio River. No major delays to transit at this time. Industry remains watchful as temps will be ripe for ice generation the next few days, followed by a warmup.
- Barkley Lock Closure (CR 30.6) – Closure for maintenance daily 0600 – 1800 1/15 – 1/30/2022. Expect 6-18 Hrs delay due to this closure.
- Cannelton Lock Closure (OR 720) – Intermittent closures 1/26 – 5/26 for replacement of Mooring tracks. Closures weekly on Wednesdays and Thursdays for up to 12-hours.
- Wilson Lock Closure (TR 260) – Extended closure remains planned Feb through April, effectively crippling transit to/from Decatur, Guntersville, and Chattanooga. Latest dates from USACE show work 2/22 through 4/28 with a 6-Day full opening scheduled 3/18 – 3/23. Will run the small chamber, but only capable of locking one barge at a time. As such, delays could reach 7+ days similar to Montgomery Lock in 2021. Expect an update from ACBL’s commercial team early next week regarding this highly impactful event.
- Kentucky Lock Closure (TR 22) – Kentucky Lock will be closed starting January 31, 2022 at 0600 through February 24, 2022 at 1800 to make needed repairs to the upstream miter gate due to an allision in November 2021. Navigation will pass through Barkley, but expect 1-2 days of delay.
- Emsworth Lock Closure (OR 6) – Main Chamber closure for repairs 2/22 – 4/16. Will run the small chamber, but only capable of locking one barge at a time. Expect several days of delay associated with this closure for barges to/from Pittsburgh, the Allegheney, and the Monongahela.
- Lock 6 on the Allegheny River (AR 36) – still CLOSED as of 8-30-21 for repairs until further notice. Updates to come.
- Ice Conditions – Cold weather and ice formation continue to impact the Illinois River. All Locks requiring ice couplings. ACBL has improved tow side reductions to 12 BIT on the Illinois. These factors are expected to drive delays throughout Jan. Traffic is currently moving fairly well, but industry remains concerned and bring a potential for further restrictions.
- St. Louis Low Water – Draft Decrease – SBD Drafts reduced to 10’0″ STL to Cairo on 1/20. NBD drafts remain reduced to 9’6 NOLA to STL. Expect to be in low-water conditions into late-Jan.
- Brandon Road Lock Restriction and Closure 2022 – May 9th through September 8th. Daytime closures, with a 70’ width restriction when lock is open. August 15th thru September 4th will see a Full Closure.
- Mel Price Main Chamber Closure – Main Chamber closed Dec 2022- Mar 2023 for Liftgate Replacement and Lock Dewatering.
- Starved Rock, Marseilles, Dresden Island, Brandon Rock Lock Closure 2023 – All 4 Locks will have a full closure June Thru September 2023 for repairs.
Lower Miss/Gulf/Canals/Tenn Tom
- Lower Miss Revetment Old Town Bend (LM 642) – Stone revetment work began Wednesday 1/5, and will run through late Feb. Due to the location of this work, contractor is requesting daily closures to Southbound traffic during working hours, expect 6-12 hrs of delay surrounding these closures. Note – there may be times with this work when SBD traffic may be allowed to pass during work and/or due to availability of rock.
- Algiers Lock Restrictions – Tows 60′ wide restricted to 600′ total length. Tows less than 60′ wide restricted to 700′ total length. Two 30K barges or Four regulation barges able to lock through in one go, but greater configurations require assistance.
- Belle Chasse Bridge Construction (WC 3)– LADOT will begin construction activities 8/2 for the removal and replacement of the drawbridge at MM 3 behind Algiers Lock. Transit will see minimal delay during work, aside for intermittent 12-hr closures for work. USACE will keep industry informed of these closures as work progresses, expected throughout 2022. Expect delays to correlate between the intermittent closures and traffic at Algiers during this project.
- Bayou Chene Closure – Due to floodgate construction, expect nightly closures (1900 – 0700) and assist vessel requirement transiting Bayou Chene. May drive delays to transit of the West Canal through the Morgan City area of 6-12 hrs.